Philip Van Wagoner

Pronouns: He/Him

Major(s): Geographic Information Science and Technology (BS), Planning Minor

Hometown: Idaho Falls, Idaho

Fun Fact: Spent four years in active-duty service with the Army

Interest in geography & future goals: I chose this field because I’ve excelled in and enjoyed previous work fields where culture, science, and technology come to an intersection. I love having a healthy balance of outdoor and indoor work and being able to work on projects that help leave lives a little bit better at the end. In the near future, I hope to be able to work for an employer who is active in the realm of environmental conservation and/or historic and cultural preservation.

Favorite thing about the department/degree: I’m grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to work alongside many professors within the department on projects that seek to affect real change in today’s society, from evaluating and improving modern remote sensing technologies, to interacting with flood-affected communities across eastern North Carolina in order to help find ways to limit and prevent flood risk exposure. Not only has this allowed me to further my specific knowledge of GIS and planning applications, but it has also allowed me to maintain my professional work ethos while being a full-time student.