Katherine Ladnier (MS 2021)

Current Position & Responsibilities

“My role as Planner Assistant with the McDowell County Planning Department is a blend of office and field work. I am responsible for walking lots with shoreline protection permit applications, protecting the vegetative buffer on Lake James, communicating with contractors and owners, answering zoning questions, collecting and maintaining an inventory of mobile home parks and other affordable housing options, verifying development statuses of trail heads, reviewing plans for campgrounds, tiny home communities, and subdivisions, as well as collaborating with local community organizations on projects for housing policy, Lake James protections, county land use, and others.”

What are the most rewarding and/or most challenging aspects of your work?

“Having a job where I get to be outside half the time is rewarding in itself. I love being able to walk around the woods and make a living. I also have a very flexible schedule, so I can spend different days at different times in the field- depending on what my work load is. This flexibility also gives me opportunities to help residents work towards amending an issue, instead of just handing them a notice of violation. I have a position with great privilege, and my goal is to use that advantage to help the community understand the rules and be better prepared for future projects. With this attitude, I have seen the best sides of people in some unfortunate situations. This position has confirmed to me that people want to be kind and respectful, they just need to be approached that way as well.”

How did your degree(s) in Geography prepare you for this position?

“I have used ArcMap and ArcPro for affordable home inventories, election districts, and the Fonta Flora Trail tracking. I have Dr. Cooper and Dr. Kam to thank for leading me in the beginning and pushing me towards the end to make me learn these programs. I was completely new to GIS my first semester (coming from a social work background) and was fortunate enough to have these professors and classmates as excellent resources for my GIS education. I owe them a lot.”

What else do students need to learn (beyond the degree) and who should they be talking to in preparation for entering the job market?

“By completing my M.S. at ECU, I created relationships with some of the professors. These connections have been beneficial to me when I have had questions or needed advice, and are clear lines of communication for future projects and collaborations. Not only for networking, but my degree made me more marketable in the job market. Having a masters puts a start next to your name with the list of other candidates. Something else that puts you over the top is highlighting your best features. Whether these are internships, volunteering, work history, or skills/abilities- showcase them! Make your resume interesting to read, and sell yourself for the position you want. No one is truly prepared to start a new job in a new field, straight out of college. Internships help (a lot!) but be prepared to not be prepared. Just pay attention and work harder than you did yesterday, and they’ll see that.”

What was your favorite or most memorable experience?

“I was never a fan of on-campus learning, or college life, in general. Attending ECU was a career choice, and I’m very grateful for the experience and education I earned from it. I can now say I walked on a University campus for class, and rode a University bus. But, the most memorable moment in my time at ECU will be when I walk across the stage in a couple weeks and go home with a degree that helps me provide for my family, teach the kids to always fight for their success, and show myself that I am capable of doing great and difficult things. Grad school was the hardest humility lesson I have ever had to learn, and it was worth every effort.”